Mac Collins is an emerging British designer and maker. Graduating from Northumbria University in the summer of 2018, Mac is now committed to creating experimental, hand crafted furniture and objects. Mac focuses on manipulating, yet still celebrating, the inherent beauty of the materials he works with.
Alongside this material driven approach, Mac brings personal and cultural narratives into his work. As a designer of dual heritage, celebrating both his European and Caribbean lineage, Mac uses his design practice to explore his own identity. Tracing his lineage, Mac creates pieces in response to issues such as African Diaspora and the slave trade. He aims to build on European and
Scandinavian standards of furniture making by bringing in aesthetic and contextual inspiration from his Caribbean and African heritage.
• Runner Up, New Designers, One Year In Development Award, 2019
• Best In Show Prize at the Young Furniture Makers' Exhibition, 2018
• Winner of Cræftiga, 2018
• Winner of the New Designers Belmond Award, 2018
• Resident Designer, Northumbria University - Newcastle
• Lecturer in Furniture and Product Design, Nottingham Trent University
• Steering committee member, Design Can - London